The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE), the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERERA) and the West Africa Power Pool (WAPP), are jointly organizing the maiden edition of the ECOWAS Sustainable Energy Week from October 17th to 19th 2016 in Accra, Ghana. The event is supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC), the Spanish Agency for international Development Cooperation (AECID), the European Union (EU), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the African Development Bank (AfDB), the Global Environmental Facility (GEF), and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
The ECOWAS Sustainable Energy Week is organized to promote exchange of ideas and cooperation to support the acceleration of the implementation of a regional energy market and to improve the current policy and regulatory landscape for a sustainable regional energy sector among the 15 ECOWAS countries. The conference will facilitate interactions and forge partnerships between ECOWAS policy makers, the private sector and financial institutions.
Specifically, the Forum aims to:
- Assess the current status of the regional electricity market;
- Present the regional perspective of the national Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency action plans;
- Present the status of the development of SE4ALL investment prospectuses in each country, including project portfolios;
- Discuss on various on-going initiatives for energy efficiency promotion;
- Showcase available instruments by the partners and investment firms ;
- Discuss the acceleration in the implementation of grid connected renewable energy plants and the private sector involvement in rural electrification in West Africa;
- Present the Regional Bioenergy Policy and its role and benefits in achieving the ECOWAS Sustainable Energy Goals.